Ergebnis 1 bis 8 von 8

Thema: Questions to current students and graduates from admitted student

Questions to current students and graduates from admitted student

Hi all!

I've contacted qfin@wu.ac.at with several questions I had regarding the program about a month ago, but I've not received any reply. I've now contacted someone from the department, but we'll see how that pans out..

I posted a series of questions on another thread that may not be active enough to propagate decent traffic, so I figured I'd just post them on a new thread. I'm hoping current students and grads can answer some of these questions or really anyone who has some information.

1) I'd like to know from current/past students whether their non-EU classmates generally have a decent chance of landing a job after graduation? If you're a non-EU student, your response is surely welcome! I know the student visa promotes work experience during and after a student's academic experience, but knowing the trend would be useful.

2) What kinds of jobs/titles do students get after graduating, assuming that they land a job? Any past, present, or future classmates whom you know are working and of course yourself.

3) Are there opportunities to work for PhDs or professors as an assistant of some type and maybe even teach some courses? Having a supplementary income is important for me, and I'd like to avoid working as an English teacher and instead do something that would better enhance my career prospects.

4) Are there any groups/clubs run by the university or students that are popular among those interested in finance/banking/business? It would be nice to know whether these types of groups/clubs coordinate events, guest presenters, student competitions, etc. I noticed there's the WU Finance Group, but that's all I could find.

5) I had a friend attend the program back in 2009/10, and he told me the cirriculum is overly theoretical and not much to do with application. I find this off-putting as I'm looking for a non-academic career... Does anyone care to comment on this?

6) Same friend said it was fairly difficult for ANYONE to find work related to the program following graduation. Any comments on this?

Hopefully we can get some activity going on in here and more questions!

G
    Geändert von gHb (12.02.2013 um 00:21 Uhr)

I finally got a response for some of the questions I sent to the university. Some of the questions differ slightly from the ones I'm posing to current students and grads.

If you have any answers or comments on the OP questions, please submit them for all to see.

Q/As:
    1) What are the statistics for students receiving relevant internships and
    job placements during university studies and following gradutation,
    respectively? This could include industry and academic placements as well
    as salary, location, and job title. The more information, the better.

We don't have any statistics about internships but the job placement rate of our graduates is about 100%. Most of our students start into their career within their last semester but, of course, some of them decide to start after graduation. About 20% of our graduates is contuing their academic career with a phd program, the rest is working in the finacial industry or in regulation institutions. About 75% of our graduates start their career in Vienna, the rest is working in Frankfurt or other german cities, some of them in London.
    Regarding salary and job titles we don't have a valid statistics yet. We started with our program in 2009, and just two cohorts of students have graduated so far. The first cohort having graduated in 2011 consisted of just 6 students. So, we are just building up a panel including the statistics you requested.

2) Are there opportunities to work for lecturers, PhDs, or professors as
    an assistant of some type and maybe even teach some courses? Are there
    on-campus work opportunities for students without knowledge of the German
    language?

You can apply for a position of a tutor supporting one of our professors after having completed the first year of your studies successfully. When getting such a position you can't teach entire courses but some preparatory units. As you work for our program and our professors you don't need to know German necessarily. But you have to be one of the best students at least in one subject to get a chance.

3) Are there any groups/clubs run by the university or students that are
    popular among those interested in finance/banking/business? It would be
    nice to know whether these types of groups/clubs coordinate events, guest
    presenters, student competitions, etc. I noticed there's the WU Finance
    Group, but that's all I could find.

Our students and us, we established the so-called QFin Club integrating all QFin students and graduates. The activities of the QFin Club vary between social events and so-called Company talk where we invite guests working as quants in the financial industry to talk about their work, about actual development and, of course, job opportunities in their particular institution.
    The QFin Club members are special members of the Finance Alumni Club which actually is an institution for finance phd graduates but has been opened for QFin master students and graduates, too.

4) Are the German Intensive Language courses offered to students by the
    university free or is there a fee?

We do offer some courses, and the information about these will be included in the information package I mentioned before. Note that there will be an evaluation exam in the first week of october. Participation is for free.

5) What is the drop-out rate for students who start the program to the end
    of the two year program? I.e., what is the percentage of students who
    successfully finish in two years?

In the first three cohorts the drop-out rate was about 10% assuming that the students now starting into their last term will all complete their studies successfully. Unfortunately we have a 25% drop out in the first semester of our fourth, i.e. youngest, cohort. We think that this is an outlier due to a an accumulation of individual problems. As a consequence, we slightly changed our valuation mode for this year's applicants.

It was mentioned that they should have more detailed answers in the near future. Hopefully sooner than later!

Hope this is helpful for prospective students. It helped me!

Some useful notes, thanks for that.

I have some questions, too. So from which mail adress did you get a response?
    thx

I emailed qfin@wu.ac.at. After not receiving a response for about a month I sent an "encouraging" email to get them to finally respond. If your questions and answers could further inform other prospective and current students, please post them here!

Im also awaiting a response from qfin@wu.ac.at for more 10 days already... does any1 know of other contact emails that could be of use?

Zitat Zitat von gHb Beitrag anzeigen
    Unfortunately we have a 25% drop out in the first semester of our fourth, i.e. youngest, cohort. We think that this is an outlier due to a an accumulation of individual problems.
    Wow must say this fact worries me a bit. Any thoughts in this..?

Zitat Zitat von Playa Beitrag anzeigen
    Wow must say this fact worries me a bit. Any thoughts in this..?
    Most of the people I know quit mainly because they had different expectations in the program. The first months might be challenging, but it is doable if you put some effort in it.